Sunday, September 11, 2011

Canning gear!

I've always wanted to start canning.  It's such a great way to preserve tasty ripe fruit and veg from the garden and it allows you to make your own spreads, marmalades, chutneys and pickles!  But, in order to do things properly (and safely, I might add) you need the right equipment.

I found a great (and relatively cheap) preserving kit from Red Back Trading Company, which comes with a dozen Ball Mason jars (more about these in a bit), a giant canning pot with a handy rack, lids, a great book and some handy canning accessories.  The whole kit was around $250, so a great value.  I got my jars on Saturday and see how happy I am!
Here in Australia we also have Fowlers Vacola jars...however I find the start up costs for these jars to be astronomical and the amount of accessories you need is over the top.  The Ball Masons have been made in America for over 100 years and only consist of a jar, a lid and a band which screws on the lid.  The only thing you can only use once is the lid.  The other handy feature of these jars is that you can screw the band back onto the jar once you use it and put it in the fridge (whereas you need to purchase a plastic lid for the Vacola jars once the seal is opened).

Stay tuned for my first canning adventure!

Enjoy!
Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment